Luke 12:41-48 ESV Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?” (42) And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? (43) Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. (44) Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. (45) But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, (46) the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful. (47) And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. (48) But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.
- Last week Pastor Moses preached an awesome
sermon: Be Dressed and Ready.
- That sermon came from the passage before this one here in Luke.
- In that passage Jesus uses the parable of a
thief in the night coming to rob your house…
- Jesus says “You never know when he might come, so you must always be dressed and ready for battle”
- In other words, Jesus says “I am coming back one day, and you will never know when I am going to come, therefore be ready for me always.”\
- In today’s passage Jesus asks “Is that parable for everyone, or just for believers” to which Jesus responds with yet another parable, this time of a master and his servants. Implying that Jesus is talking to Christians, or at least people who proclaim to be Christians, here in this parable.
- So Jesus tells this parable:
- Imagine you are a manager at a big company, and your boss leaves on vacation and puts you in charge of taking care of everything…
- Now that vacation is only supposed to be a month long vacation…
- A month comes and goes, and your boss doesn’t come back…
- Then two months, then three months… then four… still no boss…
- So you get comfortable, YOU ARE THE BOSS NOW!
- You start delegating all your duties, you become mean and bitter…
- You demand your fellow employees to work overtime for no pay.
- You take away there breaks.
- You keep there Christmas bonusses…
- Sometimes you might get really angry and hit an employee or two.
- And while everyone is breaking there back for
you, you are sitting back playing video games, watching tv, and getting drunk!
- Who cares?! The Boss left YOU in charge after all.
- And who knows if he is ever coming back?! It’s been so long since he left…
- Then one day, unannounced, your boss returns.
- And he finds his office a wreck…
- His business failing
- His employees hurting and tired…
- And then he finds you, drunk, angry, and pathetic…
- What will that boss do to you when he finds you like this.
Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray
Show Title Slide
- What will you be doing when Jesus comes back?
- Will you be serving Him, will you be honoring Him, or will you be found like this drunk servant?
- That’s what we are going to talk about today.
- And to understand the gravity of this question,
we must first understand this one thing…
- Each and every one of us, if you are a Christian, if you are a born again believer, you must understand this one thing…
- JESUS LEFT US IN CHARGE. That’s the first point this morning.
- If you are born again, then Jesus left you in charge!
Point One – Jesus Left Us in Charge
Luke 12:41-42 ESV Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?” (42) And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?
- So Peter asks, regarding last weeks message: “Is
that for us?”
- You say that you are coming back like a thief in
the night so to be ready…
- Is that for us believers, or are you telling unbelievers to get saved before you come back… because I mean we are already saved right… so we are good to go… right?
- You say that you are coming back like a thief in the night so to be ready…
- Jesus responds “This is for those who’s master
has set them over the household when he leaves..”
- So hear me guys, for this message, and last weeks message, to truly apply to you then you must have God as your Master… if you don’t have a master, a Lord, a King… this isn’t for you.
- That means Jesus is talking to Christians…
- Jesus is warning Christians to stay dressed and ready for battle…
- It’s as if Jesus is saying “Don’t think that
Just because you got saved that you can slack off and do nothing and sin it up
until Jesus comes back”.
- You got dressed and ready for battle when you got saved…
- NOW YOU MUST STAY DRESSED AND READY FOR BATTLE,
as pastor Moses preached last week.
- It was a great sermon, if you missed it go listen online!
- So Jesus tells Peter “Yes, this message is for
the born again” then Jesus takes the message a step further.
- Jesus says “I am leaving, and when I go you are going to be in charge!”
- Church, here is a reality… Jesus left earth
around two thousand years ago!
- He is no longer here in the flesh.
- He is only here on earth as He is represented by
you and me, and as He lives through you and me.
- Don’t get me wrong, God is everywhere, He is omnipresent.
- But there is something different about Jesus speaking to you through prayers and Jesus being in front of you in the flesh and speaking to you. That’s why Jesus said this in John 20:29
John 20:29 ESV Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
- Jesus was speaking to Thomas, who had doubts
that Jesus rose from the dead… so the resurrected Jesus, in the flesh, shows up
to Thomas and talks with Him…
- Finally Thomas believes and Jesus says “Blessed are you who sees me in the flesh, even more blessed are those who believe in me when I am gone and they can’t see me”.
- I mean let’s be honest, if Jesus was with you in
the FLESH always, you probably would sin a bit less wouldn’t you?
- I mean, if Jesus is rolling with you then you probably aren’t going to the club with Him.
- You probably aren’t going to get drunk while Jesus is hanging with you.
- You probably are going to watch your mouth, avoid Gossip, avoid speech filled with hatred, and focus on holy things if Jesus was literally standing next to you…
- But He is not here in the flesh anymore, he is here in the Spirit… and sometimes we take that for granted don’t we?
- But before we go too far down that trail,
let’s get this straight, Jesus left us in Charge!
- Of course the King is still on the throne.
- Of course Jesus is still Lord and we ought to do only what God tells us.
- But the reality is that we are the earthly vessels that He has left in charge of this world and His will for this world.
Romans 8:37 ESV No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
1 Peter 2:9 ESV But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Matthew 5:13-14 ESV “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. (14) “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
John 14:12 ESV “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.
- We are MORE THAN CONQUERORS.
- We are a CHOSEN RACE.
- We are a ROYAL PREISTHOOD
- We are a HOLY NATION
- We are THE SALT OF THE EARTH
- We are THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
- And Jesus says that because He is going to
the Father He is leaving us in Charge and that we will do greater things than
even He did.
- And we have already seen that to be true because it is through Christians that the world has been evangelized.
- Jesus left us in charge of the earth, His earth that He created, He left us in charge. And He left us with a task…
Matthew 28:18-20 ESV And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Point Two – What will We Be Doing When Come Back
- So then, if Christ has left, and we know that He
has (in the flesh) and we also know that He is coming back in the flesh then
the question Jesus poses is “What will you be doing when I come back?”
- “What will I find you doing when I come back?”
Luke 12:42-44 ESV And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? (43) Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. (44) Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
- So, in short, if Jesus is our master, and He is
leaving, and He gives us a task, then when He returns if He find’s us doing
that task we will be truly blessed.
- And blessed with an eternal and heavenly
- We know of course that Jesus has left, and that He has set us a task, and therefore as those in charge we better be found doing it.
- We better be found making disciples, teaching others to love and follow Him.
- And blessed with an eternal and heavenly inheritance.
- Imagine for a moment, how great that day will
be, when Jesus comes with the sound of the trumpet from the clouds…
- Imagine that day, and there you are, with a
couple disciples, you are teaching them the Word of God… maybe using some
Foundation Notes to help… and you are praying with them.
- You are encouraging them in Christ…
- And during that discipleship meeting you look up, and there is your savior.
- Or maybe you are in another country, preaching
the Gospel in another language, you have given up everything to go to a
different nation to make disciples…
- And there from your apartment in Japan, or your home without AC in Guatemala, you look out your window and there is Jesus coming from the clouds.
- Or maybe you are here, in a prayer meeting,
interceding and crying out for that lost family member, coworker, or friend…
- And as you intercede, Amanda and Jared lead worship, and as the song plays, and the prayer is raised, Jesus comes down from heaven to take His bride.
- OH WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY THAT WILL BE!
- Imagine that day, and there you are, with a couple disciples, you are teaching them the Word of God… maybe using some Foundation Notes to help… and you are praying with them.
- Is that what Jesus will find you doing? I pray so, I hope so, I rejoice in the thought…
- But what if it’s not like that? What if you live your Christian Life ignorant of the call of God, ignorant of the fact that Jesus has put you in charge of His creation?
Luke 12:48a ESV But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating…
- Imagine, you are saved, you’re a Christian,
you go to church sometimes… but you haven’t really taken ownership of it.
- And Jesus comes back…
- You are at your kids whatever-ball game, sure
there was a prayer meeting that night, but this is your kids pre-season, junior
varsity, not-at-all-important game…and there are only 4 pre-seasons games, then
there is the regular-season, and then the post season, and then next year he
might make varisty… and you can’t help it if those fanatics at church want to
pray on a Wednesday… and if you don’t watch little jimmy strike out, then who
- So there you are getting your nacho’s from the concession stand at your kid’s school when Jesus comes from the clouds like a thief in the night.
- Or maybe it’s not like that, maybe it’s Sunday
morning and, well, you had a long week… and you only get two days off to sleep
in, and you just need a “me day” so you turn off your alarm, you roll over in
your blankets and skip church.
- Then Jesus comes back and finds you asleep in your Dora the Explorer pajamas.
- Or maybe you just need to play one more level,
watch one more episode, watch one more quarter of the Packers game… when a
friend texts you… they need help, they are hurting… but they can wait.
- Go Pack Go you shout as Christ returns from the sky.
- Don’t get me wrong, supporting your
children and being there for them is important… but you probably could miss a
few of those non-playoff games in order to intercede for the Nations… what are
you teaching little Timmy when you skip church for His games? You are teaching
Him that junior varsity 4th grade T-Ball is more important.
- And sure, you need to rest on the weekends… so take the worlds longest nap on Sunday, after you spend some time to worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords with fellow believers.
- And honestly, there is nothing wrong with getting excited when the Packers beat the Lions… but not at the sake of discipleship, which is our mission given by Christ!
- Worse yet, though… what if you know what you are supposed to be doing… what if you have a call on your life… but you chose sin over Jesus… time and time again…
Luke 12:45-47 ESV But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, (46) the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful. (47) And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
- What if your called to be a pastor… and the Lord returns to find you a drunk?
- What if you are gifted as a prophet… and the Lord returns to find you cussing out your wife?
- What if you are placed in a church to be a
pillar of support, but Christ returns to find you gossiping…
- Can you imagine that day? You are with some
buddies from church and you are just ripping into people from the church…
- Can you believe that SO and So had the audacity to come to church after what I saw on Instagram?
- And Pastor so and so is such a coward, why doesn’t he do something about it?
- If I was pastor I would do so much better…
- THEN POOF, JESUS IS STANDING THERE LISTENING TO YOUR CONVERSATION.
- Can you imagine that day? You are with some buddies from church and you are just ripping into people from the church…
Romans 1:29-32 ESV They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, (30) slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, (31) foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. (32) Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
- Is that how you want to be seen when Christ
- Or do you want to be found faithful?
- I want to conclude with some time of prayer…
maybe even some altar time…
- Because honestly this sermon is very practical… I think we all understand what Jesus is saying, so let’s do something about it.
- Salvation Call
- Altar call for Addiction/Slothfulness/apathy
- Talk specifically about my past addiction and fearing Christ would return while I was in the act of sinning.