- If you joined us on Friday then you know the
first part of this story.
- We read through Chapters 22 and 23.
- We learned about Judas Iscariot’s wicked plot to betray Jesus.
- We saw as Jesus cried out to the Father before He was betrayed.
- We read how He was arrested, tried, and mocked by both soldier and citizen alike.
- We read as he we lead up the hill of Calvary to be crucified between two thieves.
- We read about the nails being driven into His hands and Feet.
- We read about a thief who repented on the Cross and Jesus forgave and welcomed to heaven.
- Then we read about Jesus breathing His last breath.
- Finally, we read about Jesus being wrapped in
burial clothes and being laid in a stone tomb.
- And while the disciples thought that this was the end of the story, we know better today.
- There is more to the story, because today we celebrate the RESURECTION OF CHRIST!
- Let’s finish the story out, shall we?
Please Stand for the Reading of God’s Word
Luke 24:1-7 ESV But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. (2) And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, (3) but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. (4) While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel. (5) And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? (6) He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, (7) that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise.”
You may be seated.
- Today I want to talk about “What He Said When He Rose From the Dead”
SHOW TITLE SLIDE
- WHAT HE SAID WHEN HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD…
- Now I don’t mean what He physically spoke, because He did continue to speak and teach…
- But rather, I mean, what did the ACT of Rising From the Dead say to us believers…
- What does the act of Him leaving the tomb mean for us even today?
- Now of course we know that He rose from the
dead, there is no question.
- We know because there were witnesses, like the women who found the tomb empty… or Thomas who put his finger through the holes in Jesus’ hands and side…
- There are witnesses like the two Disciples on the road to Emmaus
- Eight days after His resurrection he appeared to all 11 disciples…
- At one occasion he even appeared to over 500 Christians.
- So we know because of the witnesses… but we also know because He is alive today.
- You know that old song “In the garden”?
has the words “And He WALKS with me and He TALKS with me”.
- I mean it y’all, Jesus walks with me and talks with me, I hope He does to you too!
- It has the words “And He WALKS with me and He TALKS with me”.
- But the question today is this… Why is it so
important that we serve a God who has risen from the dead… what does that mean…
what did Jesus say by rising from the Dead?
- Well, I am glad you asked!
When He Rose From the Dead, He said that Death is not the end!
- You see the Jews had a long-lasting heated
argument… is there life after death? Is there a resurrection that happens?
- When Jesus rose from the dead He put that argument to an end!
- Yes there is life after death.
- Yes we were made to be eternal!
- No death is NOT the end.
- No death does not need to be feared.
- In fact the whole idea of death as a whole was
flipped on it’s head!
- Y’all listen, this is obvious to us now, but it wasn’t then…
- He flipped the whole idea of death on it’s head by proving that death is not the end… I will explain that with the next two things Jesus said by raising from the dead…
When He Rose From the Dead, He said that Heaven is real.
- If you are a believer you know heaven is real…
- Even if you are not a believer this morning… even if you are just here because it’s Easter but you are not sure about this whole after life thing… you WANT heaven to be real, don’t you… Scripture says all people long for eternity.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 ESV He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
- God placed the idea of eternity in our hearts…
we long for it… but until Jesus rose again we never understood it.
- We wanted it! But it didn’t make sense… people die… then they are gone forever right?
- Look what Jesus told His disciples before He was crucified…
John 14:1-3 ESV “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. (2) In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? (3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
- Jesus says “I am about to die, but don’t be
troubled, I am going to prepare a place for you in God’s heavenly house, then I
will come back to lead you there”.
- Now if your understanding of death is “everyone
dies and then that’s it” then this statement doesn’t make sense…
- In fact, Thomas was like “WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT JESUS?!”
- It’s like, look Jesus, if you are going to die then you can’t come back to get us… and if we are going to die then we aren’t going anywhere but in the ground…
- Now if your understanding of death is “everyone dies and then that’s it” then this statement doesn’t make sense…
- BUT THEN JESUS DIES AND ON THE THIRD DAY
RAISES FROM THE DEAD…
- Then you must be like “WAIT A MINUTE! HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO PREPARE A PLACE FOR US IN HEAVEN! HE SAID HE WOULD COME BACK! HERE HE IS, HE HAS COME BACK! THAT MUST MEAN THERE IS A PLACE IN HEAVEN FOR US!
- So yes Jesus said HEAVEN IS REAL by rising from the dead… but that’s not all He said…
When He Rose From the Dead, He Said Hell is Real
- Let’s do a little exercise… think of the most
evil person you can… let’s just say Hitler… think about how evil Hitler was…
- Now think about the end of his life… hiding from allied invaders… running scared… knowing that if he is captured he will have to answer for his crimes…
- So what does he do?
- HE KILLS HIMSELF? Why? Because he is an atheist…
he doesn’t believe there is life after death.
- So, if he kills himself then he wins! He get’s away
with it all… all the lies, all the hatred, all the racism, all the wars, all
the murder and genocide…
- He thinks he doesn’t have to answer for any of it! He just get’s to go to forever sleep!
- If there is no life after death then Hitler wins! He never had to suffer like the way he made millions of Jews suffer… or like the way he made hundreds of thousands of gypsies, and homosexuals, and mentally ill suffer.
- IF THERE IS NO LIFE AFTER DEATH THEN EVIL WINS BECAUSE ALL THE EVIL PERSON HAS TO DO TO GET AWAY WITH IT IS DIE.
- So, if he kills himself then he wins! He get’s away with it all… all the lies, all the hatred, all the racism, all the wars, all the murder and genocide…
- Jesus calls Hell a place of eternal burning and weeping and gnashing of teeth… but that doesn’t make sense if we just die and disapere… but if there is life after death, then I certainly don’t want to spend eternity in hell!
Mark 9:47-48 ESV And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, (48) ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’
- Jesus says “I am serious, there is life after
death… it’s either an eternity in heaven or an eternity in hell”.
- Well that’s all well in good for some dude on a
hill to say… but coming from a guy who has died and rose again, it means a lot
- He has done it, He has been there, He has proved His teaching on eternity true.
- Well that’s all well in good for some dude on a hill to say… but coming from a guy who has died and rose again, it means a lot more…
- And I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to go to the fiery place, and had Hitler believed in life after death maybe he would have thought twice about speeding up his departure to the after life…
- I mean imagine… what would Judas Iscariot have thought seeing Jesus risen from the dead… that would have been TERIFYING FOR HIM!
When He Rose From the Dead, He Said a lot of other things too..
- He said by His resurrection that He is God…
- Because He rose from the Dead by His own power… fulfilling prophecies written thousands of years prior.
- He said by His resurrection that the Holy
Spirit was powerful and available for us..
- Romans 8:11 teaches us that the same Spirit that Rose Christ lives in us as believers and is powerful in it’s working.
- He said by his resurrection that there is
- Even in the literal and metaphorical darkest time in history, there is hope… it may be Friday but Sunday is coming!
- He said by his resurrection that no matter
what circumstances look like, GOD ALWAYS WINS.
- How the devil must have celebrated on Friday… but oh to see his face on Sunday.
- Yes Jesus’ resurrection means so much, we could spend years preaching on it… but I want to focus on this one last one as we enter our celebration of Easter this morning…
When He Rose From the Dead, He Said there is eternal Forgiveness of Sin
- Jesus often talked about forgiving sin…
- But what good is the forgiveness of sin if it means nothing when you die?
- If all you have to look forward to is an eternity of nothing… then why do you care if your sins are forgiven or not…
- But when Jesus rose from the dead people must have thought… “Wait a minute, this forgiveness means something”.
- Think about the repentant thief on the cross, let’s read that section of scripture real quick…
Luke 23:39-43 ESV One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” (40) But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? (41) And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” (42) And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” (43) And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
- Now, imagine you are listening to this
conversation… and you hear Jesus say “Today you will be with me in paradise”…
huh, that’s a funny thing to say to a guy dying a gruesome death…
- Now imagine three days latter, as Jesus rises from the dead… what would you think?
- WAIT A MINUTE! JESUS MEANT IT WHEN HE SAID TODAY
YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE! THAT THEIF IS IN HEAVEN LIVING IN PARADISE.
- I remember when my best friend Eddy suddenly
died one of my most overwhelming emotions was envy…
- I was envious that Eddy got to be in paradise and I am stuck here!
- Because Eddy’s sins were eternally forgiven before he died, so he went to paradise…
- The thief’s sins were eternally forgiven before he died so he went to paradise.
- My sins are eternally forgiven so when I die I will go to paradise.
- I remember when my best friend Eddy suddenly died one of my most overwhelming emotions was envy…
- And if you are listening to this I want you to know that you too can eternally have your sins forgiven so that when you die you can be with Jesus in paradise, you can go to heaven.
Now in a moment we are going to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus and all that it means, and I want you to be able to celebrate with us… because this celebration makes sense if you are born again.
And what must you do to be born again, well this story of the thief shows us exactly what we need to do…
(TRY TO GET ALL ON ONE SLIDE PLEASE) Luke 23:40-42 ESV But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? (41) And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” (42) And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
- Let me show you what the thief did in this one
- He confessed that Jesus was God… saying to the mocker “Don’t you fear God!?”
- He confessed that Jesus was the Lord of heaven… he said “Remember me when you go into YOUR kingdom” He attributed Jesus as the Lord of Heaven.
- He admitted his own guilt, the thief did “We are receiving the just reward of our evil deeds”
- And confess that Jesus, who is Lord, was innocent… “This man has done nothing wrong”.
- After saying these short few words, it didn’t take much, Jesus responded by forgiving this mans sins and bringing him to heaven when he died.
- If you want to know that when you die you too
will be in paradise, all you need to do is talk to Jesus like the man on the
cross talked to Jesus.
- You need to admit that you have sinned, that you have done things that are evil in the sight of the Lord… things like lying, stealing, lusting, gossiping, envying, or even just hating someone without cause.
- You need to turn from those sins and turn to Jesus… fear God, as the thief said, and tell him “I don’t want to live this way anymore”
- You need to confess Jesus as Lord “You are King of heaven, would you also be king of my heart? Be my Lord, tell me what to do and I will do it, tell me what not to do and I wont do it… you are King of the Kingdom”
- Prayer and Celebration