Before we begin today’s sermon would you join me in praying the words our Lord taught us to pray?
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done
in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: Amen
Please stand for the reading of God’s Word.
Luke 19:28-35 ESV And when he had said these things, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. (29) When he drew near to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount that is called Olivet, he sent two of the disciples, (30) saying, “Go into the village in front of you, where on entering you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever yet sat. Untie it and bring it here. (31) If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ you shall say this: ‘The Lord has need of it.’” (32) So those who were sent went away and found it just as he had told them. (33) And as they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, “Why are you untying the colt?” (34) And they said, “The Lord has need of it.” (35) And they brought it to Jesus, and throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it.
You may be seated
- This morning’s sermon is going to be interactive, ok?
- We are going to find out, throughout the sermon who is awake, and who is… well… resting in the Lord…
- Here is what we are going to do…
- Every time, and I mean EVERY TIME I say the phrase “The Lord has need of it” I want you guys, loud and proud, to echo back “The Lord has need of it”… ok, let’s try…
- The Lord Has need of it!
- The Lord Has need of it!
- The Lord Has need of it!
- Good! Why are we doing this? Because I want you to walk away this morning with this one phrase stuck in your head… The Lord has need of It.
- I want this phrase to be playing over and over and over in your head as you go about your life from now on… The Lord has need of it!
- This whole story in scripture centers around this one miraculous phrase “The Lord has need of it!”.
SHOW TITLE SLIDE
- The title of today’s sermon is, you guessed it, “The Lord has need of It.”
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
Point One – It takes faith to declare “The Lord has Need of it”.
Luke 19:30-31 ESV saying, “Go into the village in front of you, where on entering you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever yet sat. Untie it and bring it here. (31) If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ you shall say this: ‘The Lord has need of it.’”
- It takes faith to declare “The lord has need of it”. That’s our first point this morning… and I want to start this point of with a short testimony.
- If you were here for Wednesday evening prayer and worship then you know this already, but I want to share with the rest of the church.
- A few weeks after we moved into the Library, so this was a couple of years ago, Brother Eric gave a prophecy from God… and this is what He said.
- “The Lord want’s CLC to support it’s pastors full time, and when that happens He will give CLC a permanent building”.
- You see church, since the beginning of this church plant, Amanda’s and my salary has been supplemented by outside churches.
- Victory Family Centre, in Singapore.
- International Christian Center in Seattle.
- And Faith and Victory in Seattle.
- Slowly these churches have weaned us off of support, and CLC has taken the burden of paying it’s own pastors.
- For the past year we have only received support from International Christian Center, who sent 500 dollars a month.
- But this week the Lord reminded me of this prophecy, I told Amanda and her spirit stirred… she went over the books and reported back to me…
- I AM EXCITED TO SAY THAT CLC NOW SUPPORTS IT’S OWN PASTORS FULL TIME!
- Now that is exciting for two reasons, the first is apparent, because of the prophecy!
- But the second reason it is exciting is because of this… THE LORD HAS NEED OF IT.
- That’s what Amanda reminded me before I wrote this sermon.
- It is time for that $500 a month from International Christian Center to go somewhere else!
- There is another church plant another mission field, another part of the Kingdom that needs that money.
- So the Spirit came along in the middle of the night to me and said “I have need of it”.
- So I called Pastor Daniel Ong of International Christian Center and I told him to stop sending us money! Praise God…
- And let me tell you, that took a huge step of faith!
- Can you imagine how much faith it took the disciples to declare “The Lord has need of it”.
- Think about it… Jesus tells them to go and find a donkey and… just take it.
- That would be like someone stealing your car today…
- But it’s of course not stealing, because God created that donkey, it and all that is in the earth belongs to god.
Psalms 24:1 NIV Of David. A psalm. The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;
- The earth is the Lord’s and all that is within it… don’t ever get in your mind that Jesus stole a donkey, it was His to begin with it…
- BUT…. You know it sure would have looked like those disciples were stealing that donkey.
- Imagine you are those disciples… and you are untying some random dudes donkey. You don’t know this guy, and he doesn’t know you.
- So there you are, untying this donkey… and ol’ Bartholomew comes running out of his house “WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT’S MY DONKEY”
- Pastor Moses told me a few weeks ago that the Holy spirit told him to look outside one night way late at night and when he did he saw someone in his truck… instantly he ran outside and started shouting “THAT’S MY TRUCK GET OUT OF MY TRUCK”
- Moses didn’t think “Who is this guy, what’s going on, let’s have a conversation” he thought “SOMEONE IS TRYING TO STEAL MY TRUCK AND I AM GOING TO STOP HIM!” His adrenaline was pumping, he was ready to go and he scared that thief off.
- I got to imagine there was some kind of similar confrontation with ol’ Bartholomew’s donkey… He was probably ready to fight for what was his!
- And the disciples would have known this… and the only defense that had was to declare “The Lord has need of it!”
- I mean that would have taken some FAITH wouldn’t it?
- Less faithful disciples would have been like “Ok Jesus… but, uh, can we have some money to give to the donkey’s owner?”
- “Or maybe you could right us a note and sign it so he knows it’s you…”
- “Better yet, you’re the Messiah, why don’t you just come up and take it yourself. That way he knows its for you!”
- But the disciples didn’t do that, they simply had the faith that what Jesus provided was enough to follow through with what Jesus commanded.
- And what did He provide? This simple phrase… “The Lord has need of it”.
- So my first question to you today is this: Do you have the faith to believe that what Jesus has provided for you is enough to do what Jesus has commanded of you”?
- If He says untie the donkey, are you going to untie it, or are you going to make excuses?
- If He says go on missions are you going to go, or are you going to make excuses?
- If He says break up with your boyfriend or girlfriend… will you do it or make excuses?
- If He says quit your job, will you do it or make excuses.
- If He says you need to quit a hobby, will you do it make excuses.
- If He says “Go and pray with that stranger” will you do it or make excuses?
- If He says “Give 20 percent this month” will you do it or make excuses?
- If He says “House this homeless person” will you do it or make excuses?
- Because listen church, when God sends you on a mission, big or small, when He gives you a task, He may provide you with a sword, and armor, and an army of angles… or He may only provide you with pots and lanterns.
- He may provide you with money and resources, wealth and influence… or He may only provide you with a simple phrase.
Philippians 4:19 ESV And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
2 Corinthians 9:8 ESV And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.
- You will have the sufficiency in all things at all times so that you can do every good work God call’s you too… the only question is, do you have the faith to believe that you have that sufficiency.
- Luke 6:46, one of my favorite verses
Luke 6:46 ESV “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?
- I have heard people make excuses to Jesus when asked this question…
- “Well Lord, you see, I work on Sundays…”
- “Lord I know you called me to missions… but my kids are still in school”
- “Lord you don’t understand I don’t have the money those other folks do”
- “Lord you are asking too much of me”.
- “Lord if you would have delivered me from this illness THEN I would have done what you told me to”.
- “But Lord, I have to think of my family first!”
- YOU GOT TO THINK OF YOUR FAMILY FIRST? NO! You have to think of the kingdom of God first!
Matthew 6:33 ESV But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- You want to take care of your family? The best thing you can do is obey Jesus!
- That brings me to point two this morning.
Point Two – When We Obey, His Will Gets Done
Luke 19:32-35 ESV So those who were sent went away and found it just as he had told them. (33) And as they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, “Why are you untying the colt?” (34) And they said, “The Lord has need of it.” (35) And they brought it to Jesus, and throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it.
- Point two this morning, When We Obey, His Will Get’s Done!
- You notice there is no reference of a scuffle here.
- No fight or resistance is recorded in scripture.
- There is no challenge to the Lord’s authority or the disciples authority in Christ.
- They are taking DUDES DONKEY!
- Dude confronts them “WHY ARE YOU UNTIEING MY DONKEY?! THAT’S MY DONKEY!!”
- They respond “The Lord Has Need of It”
- And dude is like “OK Cool.”
- That’s it!
- Now my second question to you this morning is this: Do you have the faith to respond to the phrase “The Lord Has Need of it” with “Ok cool”.
- If a stranger came up to you and asked for your car keys, and you say “why” and they say “The Lord has Need of It”
- And by the power of the Holy Spirit you knew they where of God and from God…
- Would you have the faith to say “Ok cool?!”
- Or would you make excuses “But I got to pick up my kids from school, and then I got to get the groceries… and I still got a note on this thing…”
- If you would make excuses then you have NO RIGHT TO PRAY THE LORD’S PRAYER.
Matthew 6:9-10 ESV Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. (10) Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
- How can you pray “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” when the Lord wills you to do something and you respond with “Yeah but”.
- That is not how God’s will is done in heaven. When God tells the earth to form, it forms. When He tells life to breath, it breaths. When He commands angels to work, they work.
- What ever He says goes instantly.
- When God says jump don’t you dare ask “How high?!”
- Instead you jump immediately with as much passion and strength as you can and you trust God to take care of the rest.
- When God says serve you serve.
- When God says go you go.
- When God says stay you stay.
- When God says move you move.
- When God says give you give.
- And when the Lord looks at something you have and He says He has need of it then you give it!
- Listen, we have been blessed with a run down building… but it’s God’s so we are going to give it to Him!
- And there are going to be plenty of more work days… when you are asked to serve remember this simple phrase “The Lord Has Need of It”.
- When you are tired and don’t want to paint a wall, remember this phrase “The Lord has need of it”.
- When you are angry because of something someone posted on Facebook and you don’t want to help them serve Jesus because that means being in their general vicinity… remember this phrase… The Lord Has Need of It.
If you are not saved, then there is only one thing God want’s from you… not your donkey, not your car… He wants you… He want’s a relationship with you…
- Gospel Call
יאר יהוה פניו אליך ויחנך
ישא יהוה פניו אליך וישם לך שׁלום
“May the LORD bless you and keep you;
May the LORD shine his face upon you and be gracious to you;
May the LORD lift up his face upon you and give you his peace.”
You are dismissed from this place but not from His Presence
ye·va·re’·khe·kha’ · Adonai · ve·yeesh’·me·re’·kha
ya·eir · Adonai · pa·nav · e·ley’·kha · vee·khoon·ne’·kah
ees·sa · Adonai · pa·nav · e·ley’·kha · ve·ya·seim · le·kha · sha·lom
You are dismissed from this place but not from His Presence