Luke 12:49-53 ESV “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! (50) I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! (51) Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. (52) For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. (53) They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
- I know we have some new Christians in this
church, praise God!
- I hope that we always have new Christians in the church!
- But to those of you who are new to the faith, I need to warn you…
- Becoming a Christian is a great way to lose all your friends.
- It’s a great way to bring division into your family.
- It’s a great way to get arrested or killed. In fact, the Bible is illegal in 52 nations… and just being a Christian can easily get you killed in 50 countries!
SHOW TITLE SLIDE
- See that white symbol that looks like a u with a
dot on top? That’s the Arabic letter for N.
- This symbol get’s spray painted on peoples homes in the middle east to signify that the people living inside are “Nazarites”, in other words… they are Christians.
- If this is put on your home you have two choices, run… or die.
- The green symbol, the thing that looks like a
lowercase “t” that’s an ancient roman torture and execution device, used to
kill criminals and Christians alike.
guy’s get that, right? The cross… it’s a torture and execution device.
- The symbol that we use to signify our faith is a symbol of pain, death, and shame.
- You guy’s get that, right? The cross… it’s a torture and execution device.
- So, for todays title slide I chose two symbols of the Christian faith… both represent Christianity, and both represent death and persecution.
- And with them, the question: Peace on earth?
- DID JESUS PROMISE PEACE ON EARTH?! IS THAT WHAT HE CAME FOR?! Let’s talk about that this morning.
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
- I want you to learn this phrase “On whom His
- On whom His favor rests!
- On whom His favor rests!
- Say it with me “On whom His Favor Rests!”
Luke 12:51 ESV Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
- Wait what?!
- I thought the Bible says that Jesus came to bring peace on earth.
- Isn’t that what the bible says about Christmas?!
- Peace on Earth, good will to men! I mean it’s in
a TON of Christmas songs.
- You know what would make a lot of Christmas songs better? If the people who wrote them actually read there bibles before writing those songs!
- Peace on Earth, good will to men! I mean it’s in a TON of Christmas songs.
- Peace on earth and good will to men? YOU FORGOT A VERY IMPORTAN PART MR CHRISTMAS SONG WRITER!
Luke 2:14 NIV “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
- ON WHOM HIS FAVOR RESTS!
- Peace is not a promise for non-Christians.
- In fact, the birth, life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Christ has lead to millions of murders, wars, violence, and hatred.
- Turns out… people don’t like Christians very much…
- And Jesus knew that was the case… that’s why He said what He said in Luke 12…
- Peace is not a promise for non-Christians.
Luke 12:51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
- But don’t let this discourage you church…
because if you are a Christian then Jesus isn’t talking about you not being at
peace… He is talking about those around you, rebelling against the light inside
- Remember, this is the same sermon where Jesus tells us not to be anxious because God will take care of us if we seek His kingdom first!
Luke 12:29-32 ESV And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. (30) For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. (31) Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you. (32) “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
- Jesus is specifically telling Christians “I got you” and then just a few sentences later He says “I did not come to bring peace but rather I came to bring division”.
- Church: Here is the skinny, Christ promises CHRISTIANS peace beyond understanding… to everyone else there is no such promise… nor should there be…
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (7) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- WHOA!!!! Have y’all ever felt that peace…
- When the Mt. Vesuvius in your is erupting, and everything is burning down…
- Everything is covered in ash… flaming rocks are
crashing down all around you…
- Rocks of debt, sickness, addiction, depression, broken relationships and drama…
- When everyone is running away, panicking, dying…
- Yet there you stand and Jesus comes down and whispers in your ear “I got you”.
- That’s the peace of Jesus… it doesn’t make any
sense… you should be RUNNING. You should be TERRIFIED. You should be CRIPPLED
by this pain…
- But Christ gives you peace.
- Have you guy’s seen the movie “The book of Eli”?
- Its about a man, Eli, trying to protect the last surviving copy of the Bible.
- And the main villain want’s to steal the Bible to use it to manipulate people.
- There is this part in the movie where the bad guys have surrounded Eli who is held up In the home of cannibals.
- The bad guys have this huge machine-gun and they start demolition the house they are in….
- The cannibals, knowing Eli is a Christian, ask “Is God telling you anything” as they take cover.
- “God Says I am going to make it out alive”
- “All of us are going to make it out alive?”
- “I don’t know, God didn’t mention you”.
- I love that scene because it shows what a
relationship with God is like verses a relationship away from God.
- GOD PROTECTS HIS PEOPLE!
Psalms 46:1 ESV God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
- But that is a promise to His people… not to those who aren’t Christians.
- And that’s a good thing… those who aren’t
Christians should feel some pain, they should feel some calamity, they should
- Not because I am mean and want them to suffer…
- But because I love them and want them to come to Christ so that they might yet be SAVED!
Proverbs 13:21 ESV Disaster pursues sinners, but the righteous are rewarded with good.
Psalms 32:10 ESV Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD.
Psalms 16:4 ESV The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips.
Revelation 18:3-4 ESV For all nations have drunk the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have committed immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth have grown rich from the power of her luxurious living.” (4) Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;
that’s pretty harsh! Are you suggesting, pastor, that God will curse sinners
with plagues and disaster?!
- YES! I am saying that!
- See, God is so hateful and spiteful!
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! GOD IS LOVE! HE SENDS THIS DISASTERS TO PEOPLE BECAUSE
HE LOVES THEM.
- Don’t you know that the prodigal son would have never returned to the father unless he suffered first?
have you ever heard the story of the frog in boiling water.
- It is said that you can boil a frog alive as long as you put the frog in the cold water and slowly bring it to a boil.
- The frog never notices the temperature change so
he never tries to escape until it’s to late and he’s dead!
- How much better if that frog felt some pain, and because of that pain he gets out of the pot?!
father is a retired physician. He co-authored a book called “The Blessing of
pain” where he talks about what a gift it is that God gives us physical pain.
- I have back pain… it SUCKS!!!!
- But that pain tells me something is wrong!
- If I didn’t have that pain, I would keep
treating my back like tar and I would probably be paralyzed by now!
- The pain tells me something is wrong.
- I have back pain… it SUCKS!!!!
you are not a Christian and you are in pain this morning…
- Physical, emotional, financial… Any kind of pain… LISTEN! Something is wrong! But Jesus has the cure…. I urge you to listen till the end of the sermon where we will offer a chance to be born again!
- But let me bring it back to the Christians… Christians, don’t get it twisted, I am not saying that there will not be calamity or persecution… there most certainly will be. But what I am saying is that God will get you through it and be your peace.
Psalms 34:19-20 ESV Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all. (20) He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.
- MANY are the afflictions of the righteous, Persecution comes with the territory…
- Listen, if you are being persecuted, congratulations,
you are being Christ like.
- You understand that Christ lived a PERFECT life…
- JESUS NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG.
- And yet the people still killed Him.
- So if Christ who is perfect was persecuted unto death, how much more will we be persecuted?
- The cross, the symbol of our faith, is what they used to KILL JESUS!
- But God will absolutely get us through it all, amen?
- And if you don’t feel that way, I am going to speak to you in just a second, but first I need to address the unsaved in the room. Let’s do some altar time, amen?!
- Gospel Call
- Maybe you are sitting here listening to me this
morning, you are a born again believer… you know Jesus, He is your Lord… you
know that you know that you know that you are saved…
- Yet there is a lot of affliction going on.
- And you are not feeling that peace.
- Your Mt. Vesuvious is blowing up right now, and
well, this sermon isn’t really helping…
- Because life hurts right now.
- If that’s you this morning I want to minister to you with Pslam 46.
Psalms 46:1-11 ESV To the choirmaster. Of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A Song. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (2) Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, (3) though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah (4) There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. (5) God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. (6) The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. (7) The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah (8) Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has brought desolations on the earth. (9) He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. (10) “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (11) The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
- I want to specifically point out this part of verse 10
Psalms 46:10a ESV “Be still, and know that I am God…”
- Life has been hard this week.
- People we love stabbing us in the back.
- Back pain.
- Financial pressure.
- And all week God has been telling me:
- BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.
- That’s what I want you to do, fellow Christian. Be still, stop in the middle of the eruption, in the middle of the panic… just stop running, be still, and know that He is God.
- Jesus has your BACK! YOU ARE HIS. He won’t let that weapon prosper.
- GOD HAS YOU! He won’t let that disaster harm you.
- You may have many afflictions this week church, but your ONE God is much bigger, much stronger, much better.
- Be still and know that He is God.