- So I don’t know if you guys noticed, but we have
some sweet new doors!
- We have been working on these doors on and off for the past two weeks and it probably took a good 40-50 hours of work to get done.
- So before I start my sermon I just want to
recognize some of the people who really helped out in putting these doors up:
- Would the Paige’s and the Dueschenau’s come to
- These guys gave up days and evenings to help get these doors put in! On Friday we worked for 12 hours. I mean people were hopping in and out from work, painting, sanding, grinding, and framing, can we give these guys a hand?
- Pray a blessing over them.
- This is the body of Christ coming together, one of my favorite moments was Wednesday, we were working all the way up to Wednesday nhight service, Amanda brought pizza, we were all fellowshipping, laughing, the kids were running around playing, it just felt like a family gathering, man that’s what church is all about!
- Would the Paige’s and the Dueschenau’s come to the front.
- BRING THE KIDS UP!
- So, since
my mind has been consumed with doors the past week, I thought I would preach a
sermon about doors!
- And it’s funny, because y’all remember when I went to Florida? There was a person there gift in Words of Knowledge, otherwise known as prophecy, and he prophesied over me, and wouldn’t you know it, the prophecy he had for me and this church was all about doors!
- The Prophet gave me and this church the following verse:
“because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.”
- He said: God wants us to know that there is a great door open for me and this minstry, but those that are opposing me are putting up a barrier in front of that door. We need to know that the barrier may look thick, strong, and hard to break through, but in reality it is like thin paper that can easily be punched through with a pencil. We need to run full force at that door and break down the barriers put up by those who oppose me.
- -Going through that door means that 2016 will be
a year of great increase and blessing for CLC!
- Folks let me tell you, if we can break through a concrete barrier to put a 70 inch door in a 68 inch hole, then we can ABSOLUTLY break down spiritual barriers in our path!
- And if we do so, if we run through the door that God has provided us, then HE will do great things in Cedar Rapids and the world through this ministry amen!
- Today I want to preach in line with this prophecy, and those two very physical doors… I want to preach out of Revelation chapter three. Would you all turn there with me?
- While you turn to Revelation 3 I want to give
you a little context here: This section is in the book of Revelation. The book
of revelation is all about the apostle John being taken up into heaven in a
vission and shown many different things, including the return of Christ and the
end of our world as we know it.
- In the beginning of Revelation Jesus instructs John to send letters to seven different churches around the world.
- These seven churches were very real and present churches at the time of the writing of Revelation, but they are also very characteristic of many churches today. I think most church bodies would fit well into one of the described churches in revelation.
- My desire is that our church would be the church of Philadelphia, and I believe that it is and will continue to be.
- So that is what we are going to read we are going to read what Jesus has to say to the church of Philadelphia.
- Let’s start with verse seven:
Rev 3:7a “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:
- I want to stop right here, does anyone know what
the term Philadelphia means? Anyone know the motto for the American city of
Philadelphia? It’s the city of Brotherly Love!
- That is because the Greek word Philadelphia literally means brotherly love!
- I find that striking this morning because one of
my goals for this church is that we would truly be a church of brotherly and
sisterly love, that would honestly look on one another as brothers and sisters
and treat each other as family!
- And like I said, I saw that this week, I have seen it before, and I hope to see much more of it, that our love for one another would be united! Amen?
- So “To the church of brotherly love” Jesus is saying… “To the church of Philadelphia write these things”… He continues…
Rev 3:7b ‘The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens.
says “Look I am the one who Opens… and when I do no one will close! And When I
close, no man shall open!
- What’s Jesus talking about here? DOORS!
- But really, He is talking about Spiritual doors,
just like was prophacied to this ministry.
- You see God has opened a door for us as a
church, He has opened a door for us in Cedar Rapids, and I think through this
church if you have made CLC your home then God has opened a door for you here!
- A door of opportunity, a door of success, a door of service, a door of blessing.
- If you came up last Sunday to pray, confirm, or be encouraged in your calling then I hope you understand what door has been open to you!
- And who opened that door?
- Not me, not this church, but the Lord Jesus Christ.
- And what’s really awesome about this is that if JESUS HAS OPENED A DOOR FOR YOU, YOUR LIFE, YOUR FAMILY, THIS CHURCH, WHATEVER… IF JESUS OPENES IT THEN NO MAN, DEMON, SERIES OF EVENTS… NOTHING AT ALL CAN SHUT THAT DOOR! The door that Jesus opens can not be shut, AMEN‽
- So then what was prophesied to me in Florida
starts to make sense… it was prophesied that God had opened a door for us…
- But the enemy doesn’t want that, he doesn’t like that, he doesn’t want that door to be open.
- BUT THE DEVIL AND ALL HIS MINIONS ARE NOT CAPABLE OF CLOSING THAT DOOR, NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTIST!
- He tries, he pushes, but that door is not going
anywhere, Jesus opened it and no one can shut it.
- So what does Satan do, he puts up a barrier to try to convince us to not walk through that door.
- See that’s the thing about doors, it does not matter how wide open they are, if we don’t walk through them they are never getting to the otherside.
- So Satan says… “ok, if I can’t shut this door then all I have to do is stop them from wanting to go through it.
- And he doesn’t have any real barriers he can put up, nothing he can say or do is going to hinder the p[lan of God. But that is not going to stop him from trying…
- So Staten turns into like a Whiley Coyote and he puts up a big sheet of paper in front
of the door and paints bricks on it, so it looks like there is a brick wall
- And no matter how much we look at that brick wall it is going to look like a brick wall. But really it’s just a piece of thing paper.
- So God says “look, I opened this door so you just need to run through! Don’t worry about that paper, it’s not going to slow you down, just run through.”
- And church that takes a steep of faith, it certainly does, to run head first into what looks like a brick wall, but when we take God at His word we know that barrier put up will crumble to the slightest breeze! We have nothing to worry about!
- I love how this continues, Revelation 3:8
- You see God has opened a door for us as a church, He has opened a door for us in Cedar Rapids, and I think through this church if you have made CLC your home then God has opened a door for you here!
Revelation 3:8 ESV “‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.
- Jesus says “I
know you have little power, yet you have kept my word and not denied my name”…
“I know you have little power”
- You see none of us are strong enough to run through a Brick Wall, we have little power compared to those bricks! I should know, we spent a good three hours trying to break through half an inch of brick to get those doors in! I blistered my hand after like 4 minutes of trying by my own strength!
- So we have little power, but we follow His Word.
And His Word says that door is open, so run through it! AMEN!
- Folks we as a church have little power, we are a small church meeting in someone else’s building… BUT IT DOESEN’T MATTER, IT IS NOT ABOUT OUR POWER! IT IS ABOUT GOD’S POWER! WE JUST NEED TO OBEY HIM, AMEN!
- Lets move on to verse 9 where Christ shifts focus to the Barrier setter-upers… those who want to stop us from going through the door:
Revelation 3:9 ESV Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie–behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.
- Now I don’t want to spend to long on this
particular verse because it is not what the message is about today, but know
this… there are many fakers out there who would not want us to succeed.
- Fakers who pretend to know God, they pretend to
love Him, but really they are God’s enemy.
- And folks it is not our job to do anything about them! This verse says JESUS will make them bow at our feet! Not us, we don’t make them bow.
- So the encouragement this verse brings for us is
this, as people, especially people who call themselves Christians, try to get
in the way of you going through the Door God has opened for you, just don’t
worry about them! God has your back! All you need to do is run right on past
them as you go through that door!
- Tell the story of being called to be a pastor, it was those who are Christians who tried to stop me!
- Fakers who pretend to know God, they pretend to love Him, but really they are God’s enemy.
Revelation 3:10 ESV Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth.
- Again we come back to making that decision to
keep God’s word! Making the decision to go through the door that He opened for
us regardless of barriers.
- If God has called you to be a missionary, then He has opened that door for you! YOU HAVE TO DECIDE TO KEEP GOD’S WORD AND GO ON MISSIONS! Regardless of circumstance!
- If God has called you to be a pastor then you
have to decide to go through that door!
- I don’t care if you have kids, if you are single, if you are poor or rich… God has opened a door for you that no man can shut! Chose to go through it!
- Not only do we need to keep God’s word but we
need to patiently endure!
- God opened a door for Christian Life Church! And
we as a church body decided to go through it, but you know what, we are not a
mega church, all of Cedar Rapids is not saved yet, there are still Wednesday
services where I wonder if people are going to show up!
- But Amanda and I have decided that GOD opened the door for CLC to be in Cedar Rapids and no matter what, no matter how long it takes, we are going to patiently endure! We are going to push forward, we are going to keep the church doors open and we are going to serve God!
- I hope that many, if not all of you, feel the same way not only about the calling in your life, but about CLC as well!
- God opened a door for Christian Life Church! And we as a church body decided to go through it, but you know what, we are not a mega church, all of Cedar Rapids is not saved yet, there are still Wednesday services where I wonder if people are going to show up!
Revelation 3:11 ESV I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.
- Again Jesus restates what He as already said!
- Persevere, hold fast, stay strong. Stay the
- Folks we only have so long on this earth, one day we are going to die and see Jesus, I hope that when I go I can hold my head up knowing I persevered to the end! That I stuck it out!
- I hope this church is still here long after I am dead and with Jesus and that it continues to persevere, generation after generation!
- I pray that all of you have the same heart for your calling, for what God has for you!
- When Jesus says “That no one may take your crown” He is referring to our reward! Why would we run a marathon and then give up close to the finish line? NO RUN THE WHOLE RACE, NEVER GIVE UP!
- Persevere, hold fast, stay strong. Stay the course!
Revelation 3:12 ESV The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.
- To the one who conquers, that is the one who
finishes the race, who perseveres… that is the one that goes through the door
God has opened NO MATTER WHAT!
- The one who is called to missions and then actually goes on missions
- The one who is called to evangelism and actually evangelizes
- The one who is called to preach and actually preaches
- The one who is called to teach and actually
- These are the conquerors who Jesus is talking
- And if that is you then Jesus is saying “I will make you a pillar of the temple of God!”
- If that is you then Jesus is saying “You will never have to leave the temple of God”
- If that is you the Jesus is saying “I will write on you the name of my God so that your whole identity is in Him!”
- These are the conquerors who Jesus is talking about.
- I pray that is us! I pray that is our church!
- In conclusion I will concluded the same way that Jesus concludes to the church of Philadelphia:
Revelation 3:13 ESV He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’
- Are you listening to what Jesus is saying to
you? DO YOU HAVE EARS TO HEAR WHAT GOD IS SAYING TO YOU AND THIS CHURCH!
- Jesus is saying it loud and clear today church: IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO JUST KNOW THE DOOR THAT GOD HAS OPENED FOR YOU! GO THROUGH IT! GO THROUGH THAT DOOR! RUN INTO WHAT GOD HAS FOR YOU AND IGNORE ANYTHING THAT TRIES TO SLOW YOU DOWN! AMEN‽ AMEN!