Luke 11:1 ESV Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.”
- What do disciples do? They follow their teacher.
So when there teacher prays often, it makes them in turn want to pray often.
- I imagine the disciples following Jesus and seeing the power, the passion, the reverence of the prayers of Jesus…
- Just think about it for a moment… have you ever heard someone pray and thought to yourself “WOW! That was a powerful prayer!” or “Man, that was a beautiful prayer” or even “Phew… that prayer was so passionate… so close to God’s heart”.
- If you have been around the church for a long time I am sure you have experienced that kind of prayer… as brother Will would say, the kind of prayer that makes your spirit baby jump!
- Now imagine being a disciple of Jesus as He walked the earth 2000 years ago… what must it have been like to listen to Him pray… to listen to Him talk to God.
- The disciples naturally would want to have that kind of prayer life, the power, the passion, the beauty of the prayers of Jesus! So they ask Him point blank “Jesus teach us to pray”.
- What follows, at least here in Luke, is a rendition of the Lord’s prayer found in the Gospel of Matthew, slightly shortened, but none-the-less powerful.
- So today, and over the next couple of weeks, we are going to learn to pray like Jesus. And my prayer during these messages is that it would change you to be all the more Christ like, especially in your prayer life, amen?
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
- This morning we are going to go through two
verses in the 11th chapter of Luke, the first we have already went through
to introduce this message, the 2nd is were our two points for this
message come from.
- If you have your bibles turn to Luke 11 and let’s read verses one through two.
Luke 11:1-2 ESV Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” (2) And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.
- So we have these two prayer points we are going
to talk about, “Hallowed be Your Name, and Your Kingdom come”.
- And both have what I think to be a central
theme… Making God’s name great.
- Making His name great in our lives, in our family, in our churches, and in every nation of the world. Therefore this message is titled “Make His Name Great”.
- And both have what I think to be a central theme… Making God’s name great.
Show Title Slide
- Make His Name Great.
- That is our job, and that is what our prayer
life should reflect…
- Our Job is to Make His Name Great
- Maybe your thinking right now “wait a minute
pastor, I thought our job was to go and make disciples, baptizing them in the
name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey Jesus…”
- And you would be right! Because there is no better way to make God’s name great then to bring people into His Kingdom… to create eternal worshipers, amen?!
- And so our two points today… hallowed be Your Name, and Your Kingdom come, they go hand in hand with making disciples, and you will see what I mean in a moment. Let’s get into it…
- That is our job, and that is what our prayer life should reflect…
Point One – Hallowed Be Your Name
- The prayer starts with the line “Father” or in
Matthew “Our Father”.
- So let me just get something out of the way, if God is not your Father, this prayer is not for you! No amount of praying the Lords prayer will help you if you miss that first line… God MUST be your Father for this prayer to have any meaning…
- And don’t get confused, God is not everyone’s Father. He is everyone’s creator, but He is not everyone’s Father.
- Speaking to people who have not been born again Jesus said this…
John 8:44-45 ESV You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (45) But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me.
- If you are not born again, the Bible makes it
clear, God is not your Father, Satan is.
- And I don’t say that as an insult, please, Satan was once my father too! And every born again believer in here.
- I say this because I want you to know that God WANT’S to be your Father, and He paid a price to buy you back from the evil one. But you must accept it.
- Therefore, if you are not born again, this message is not for you, but the good news is at the end of service we will have an opportunity for you to be born again and to say goodbye to Satan for good and run into the loving arms of God the Father!
- So back to Luke 11:2
Luke 11:2 ESVa And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name…”
- Now this word “Hallowed” or “Hallow-ed”
depending on how old school your pronunciation is… it means “Be made Holy”.
- So what Jesus Is praying is “Let your name be made Holy”
- Father, this is what I pray, that your name
would be MADE Holy.
- But wait a minute, isn’t God’s name ALREADY Holy? Why should we pray… why should we desire that God’s name be MADE Holy if it already is.
- Yes, absolutely, God’s name IS Holy. It is an eternal truth that God’s name IS Holy… but it is a temporary truth that God’s name is profaned… that it is trashed, that it is run through the mud.
Leviticus 22:32 ESV And you shall not profane my holy name, that I may be sanctified among the people of Israel. I am the LORD who sanctifies you,
- One literal translation of this is “DON’T USE
GOD’S NAME AS A PROFANITY” or more simply “God’s name is not a swear word”.
- If you think that God’s name is Holy to everyone
in this world, then you clearly haven’t been to the movies lately!
- Hellboy, which is Rated R, uses God’s name as a swear word 9 times… no surprise there with a name like that!
- But then Shazam, which is only rated PG13 uses God’s name is used as a swear word 13 times.
- Avengers End Game, PG13… God’s name is used as a cuss word 9 times.
- Tolkien, PG13… which is supposed to be about a Christian… uses God’s name in a profane way twice.
- Even Detective Pikachu which is rated PG uses God’s name as a cuss word 2 different times!
- It is nearly impossible to go see a movie that doesn’t use God’s name as a swear word! But you can go see the new Aladdin, it doesn’t use it once! You have to deal with Will Smith as being genie… but you know, compromises…
- If you think that God’s name is Holy to everyone in this world, then you clearly haven’t been to the movies lately!
- But it is not just people in the world… I have
heard people in this CHURCH use God’s name as a cuss word…
- The expression Oh My G*D is NOT OK!
- Do you not know who’s name you are flippantly invoking… the creator of the universe… the alpha and the omega… the just judge… the giver and taker of life… HIS NAME IS NOT A CUSS WORD. It is not an expression of disbelief or amazement…
- And please, don’t say or text OMG… I know you mean Gosh, but other people don’t know that, and they read it as God’s name being used as a trash word.
- The expression Oh My G*D is NOT OK!
- And let’s take this a step further Christians, because God’s name is not just a word… but it is the WHOLE character of God whom we represent.
- As a Christian you carry God’s name on you, you
are a CHRISTian!
- Ok, I was born a Christian twice… first to my earthly mom and father when my name was put on that birth certificate, but second to my heavenly father when I was born again as a true Christian at the age of 16.
- If you are a born again Christian you carry the name of God with you wherever you go.
- Therefore if you go through the mud you carry God’s name through the Mud with You!
- Let me give you an example… Imagine you are a potatoes farming peasant in the land of King Author…
BRING UP TITLE SLIDE AGAIN
- Ok, this is you… and life is alright… you got
your potatoes… you got your peasantry… things are ok… You know of King Author…
but you don’t ever see him, he doesn’t really effect you, you don’t live in his
castle or anything… So if someone asked you how you feel about King Author you
would say “Meh, I guess he is alright”
- But then one day a group of the kings Knights come in, and you know they are the kings nights because they wear his name on their shields and banners and armor.
- And the kings Knights come in and they declare they are there “In the name of the king” and then they proceed to rape all the women and young girls, and leave.
- Two months later they come back and they steal all of your pigs and all of your potatoes.
- Three months from then they come back and burn down your farms.
- Then a year goes by before they return, this time they take all your horses and all your money, and they leave you to starve.
- Now that you have been raped and robbed and
pillaged by the king’s men, what is your opinion of the king?
- I bet it’s not “meh” anymore…
- Y’all catching my drift this morning?
- We wear the name of Christ… and we take that name to the club, and to the bar… people go to church on Sunday and then go home and sleep with someone they are not married to.
- They raise there hands in worship on Sunday morning, then they go and cuss out a family member.
- They name there kids Christian names and then go on Facebook and post about how much they love Game of Thrones.
- People who call themselves Christians become pastors of mega churches and small churches alike… then they cheat on their wives, or steal from the church, or hire prostitutes with the church money…
- People who call themselves Christians fight, and bicker, and steal, and curse… they get drunk, they break laws, the hurt others, they brag about sin… they run through the mud all while proclaiming the name of the King.
- How do you think that makes God look to the world? Does it make Him look holy?
- This isn’t about controlling your life, either,
ok. If you want to do those things, fine… but leave God out of it!
- Don’t go around calling yourself a Christian but not living like it.
Father, hallowed be thy name.
- Daddy God, let your name be HOLY! And don’t you dare pray this prayer… DON’T YOU DARE PRAY THIS PRAYER, without first praying it over your life!
Luke 6:41-42 ESV Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (42) How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye.
- If you
are living your life in a way in which you drag God’s name through the mud,
either by word or by action, then pray this pray not for others, but over yourself.
- Father, let your name be holy in MY life.
- Don’t get mad and never go back to church
because the pastor called out sin. Please don’t do that. I don’t want to scare
- Instead, make changes in your life, chose to
live for Jesus.
- Cut out the clubs, the drinking, the porn.
- Kick out the person living in your house you Ain’t married to but you are doing stuff only married people should do. Or, if you can’t bring yourself to do that, MARY THEM.
- Keep your words holy, your body holy, your life holy. You may not be perfect now, but you are being made perfect by Christ Jesus… and if that is the case you actually have to CHANGE!
- And we are here to help you, if these things describe you, come talk to me or Pastor Amanda and we will not judge you, but we will help you grow!
- Instead, make changes in your life, chose to live for Jesus.
- Now all of this leads into point two… Your Kingdom Come
Point Two – Your Kingdom Come
Luke 11:2 ESV And he said to them, “When
you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come.
- The kingdom of God is simply the place in which
God is king.
- From 6:30-12:30 Sunday mornings this library is the Kingdom of God.
- In a few moments we will be headed to Lake McBride, and for that time that lake will be a part of God’s Kingdom.
- My home is a part of the Kingdom of God, as for me and my house we shall serve the Lord.
- Not only that, but God is my King… therefore I am a part of the Kingdom of God.
- And if you are born again then YOU are part of God’s Kingdom.
- God’s desire is that His Kingdom would come to all of the world.
2 Peter 3:9 ESV The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
- Some people say that God doesn’t care about numbers, well those people are wrong… because God is not willing for ANY to perish. That ANY is a number, it’s currently about 7.7 billion. God want’s EVERYONE to be a part of His Kingdom, that’s why He sends us to make disciples and to baptize them, amen?!
Revelation 7:9-10 ESV After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, (10) and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
- People from every tribe, every tongue, every
nation… that’s God’s Kingdom. That’s why we go on Missions, amen?!
- That’s why we are going to Guatemala! God’s
- Because we want God’s name to be great in
- In the hearts of every Guatemalan that will accept Him, let His name be great!
- My prayer for our mission team, let us make the name of God great!
- Because we want God’s name to be great in Guatemala!
- That’s why we are going to Guatemala! God’s Kingdom come.
- And listen… if you are dragging God’s name
through the mud, you are not helping His kingdom grow. Because who want’s to
join the Kingdom of an evil King…
- Or just as bad, who want’s to join a Kingdom where the King doesn’t even seem to rule anything?
Luke 6:46 ESV “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?
- You don’t get to call Jesus King if you don’t actually do what He says!
- But if,
hear me now, but if you would follow Jesus, obey Him as Lord… and truly seek
His Kingdom come, then not only would you see people coming to Jesus, that is
His name being made holy in their live and His kingdom coming to their hearts…
- Not only would you see that…
- But you would see a life full of miracles, and prevision, and love, and care, and even dare I say it comfort, spiritual comfort at least.
Matthew 6:31-33 ESV Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ (32) For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. (33) But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Isn’t it interesting… Jesus says in Matthew “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness (hallowed by Thy Name)” and here we see Jesus praying, and what is the FIRST thing Jesus seeks in prayer “Hallowed Be They Name, Thy Kingdom Come”.
- You want to live your BEST life? Your most
blessed life? You want things to start changing for you and your family? You
want all the good God has for you? Praise God! I want that for you too.
- And if that is you, if you desire that, then
don’t just pray this prayer, but live this prayer!
- Our Father, hallowed be your name. Your Kingdom come.
- And if that is you, if you desire that, then don’t just pray this prayer, but live this prayer!