Luke 9:49-56 ESV John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” (50) But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.” (51) When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. (52) And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. (53) But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. (54) And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” (55) But he turned and rebuked them. (56) And they went on to another village.
- What we see here is two examples of… well… the
Disciples missing it yet again…
- Two examples of the disciples handling others in a way contrary to the message of Christ.
- And anytime the disciples mess up we need to listen church. Because if they could do it while physically walking with Christ then you better believe we can make these mistakes while Spiritually following Christ!
- So in this example in Luke first we see this
person casting out demons in Christ’s name, and the Disciples say “Jesus we
should stop them!”
- Jesus rebukes them.
- Then they move on and a village rejects Christ,
clearly standing against Christ, and the Disciples say “Jesus, let us call down
fire and brimstone on them! Let FIRE rain down from heaven and destroy them.”
- Jesus rebukes them…
- Those poor disciples just can’t get things
- AND WE ARE SO MUCH LIKE THEM CHURCH.
- When people aren’t with us, we look down on them as if they are less then them…
- And when people are against us we want to CRUSH THEM!
- But that is not the way of Christ, and if we as a church are going to be Christlike then in can’t be our way either!
Bring Up Title Slide
- For or Against, how to we handle people who are not against Christ… and how to we handle people who are most definitely against Christ?
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
Point One – Unity with Those Who are For Christ
Luke 9:49-50 ESV John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” (50) But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”
- On the heals of arguing over who was greatest…
now the disciples are collectively looking down on this person casting out
demons in Jesus name…
- Do you see that…
- Just before this the disciples were arguing “Which one of us is greatest” Jesus rebukes them… then they seemingly go “Ok, none of us is the greatest… but we are certainly greater than THAT GUY!”
- Like what did the disciples have against this
- Here is what we know about this guy: He was casting out demons in Jesus name and he was not one of the 12 disciples…
- So the disciples didn’t have a problem with this
man casting out demons…
- They didn’t have a problem with this man using Jesus’ name…
- What they had a problem with was that he was doing all of that EVEN THOUGH he was not one of the 12 disciples…
Luke 9:49 ESV John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.”
- What’s the problem they have with this man? “He
does not follow with us”.
- Now we know from scripture that if you are not a Christian that you can’t cast out demons…
- The seven sons of Sceva tried that and it worked out poorly for them…
Acts 19:13-16 NIV Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” (14) Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. (15) One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” (16) Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.
- But this story hasn’t happened yet… so we have
an advantage that the disciples didn’t… we have all of Scripture…
- But the disciples did have a brain… if a man is SUCESSFULLY doing the work of Christ and he is doing it in Christ’s name… WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!
- The problem is that the disciples wanted to be
it… they wanted to be big shots…
- Maybe one of them wasn’t the greatest… but they as a group, certainly THEY AS A GROUP COULD BE THE GREATEST.
- Jesus rebukes them…
Luke 9:50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”
- A few chapters after Jesus says this…
Luke 11:23 ESV Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
- There are two sides, church… TWO SIDES. There
are no fence sitters in eternity… either you are for Christ or you are against
- That’s why it is so important to pick a Side.
- Where are you… for or against Christ…
- Ok pastor, I have been for Christ for a long
time… what does this mean for me?
- This means there are a lot of other believers who are not a part of your group, your family, your friends, or your church who are WITH CHRIST… and they are doing the work of Christ…
- I know I talk about unity in the church a lot…
you know why I talk about it so much?!
- BECAUSE IT IS IN SCRIPTURE SO MUCH.
- Y’all I am preaching through scripture… I am not
picking my sermons, I am simply preaching what is written…
- And it seems like every other week I am preaching about unity in the church… BECAUSE SCRIPTURE IS FULL OF INSTRUCTION TO BE UNITED AS ONE CHURCH, ONE BRIDE, ONE BODY.
- And it’s not just the Gospel of Luke, if you were with us through the book for 1st Corinthians, like half that book was about how divisive the church was being and how they needed to be united!
- One of the last prayers Jesus prayed before dyeing, called the High Priestly prayer by some… here is what Jesus prays:
John 17:20-21 ESV “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, (21) that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
- He wants His church, His bride… everyone who is saved… everyone who is born again… to be so united that they are like two persons in the trinity, Father and Son, unique but the same, separate but one… that’s how united we should be.
- So church, we need to wrap our head around this…
WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM. TEAM JESUS! WE ARE ALL FOR CHRIST.
- That means the church that really hurt you and you are still struggling to forgive… are they doing the work of Christ… even a little… then they are for Christ.
- The church where the pastor shakes like he is being electrocuted and speaks in tongues more than English… they are for Christ…
- The church that only reads the King James Version and doesn’t allow women to wear pant’s… they are for Christ…
- The church that thinks you are going to hell for being a part of this church… if they are preaching Christ and doing His work in His name… THEY ARE FOR CHRIST.
- The preacher who preaches on TV and fly’s a fancy private Jet… For Christ.
- The house church that does things differently… for Christ.
- The people who demand you wear suits to church… for Christ.
- The people who wear pajamas to church… for Christ.
- ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO IS DOING THE WORK OF
CHRIST IN HIS NAME IS FOR HIM!
- But pastor… there theology is wrong… there beliefs are wrong… their motives are wrong… THEY ARE DANGEROUS PASTOR!
- Well, are people getting saved in their
- Well yeah, I suppose some…
- THEN WHO ARE THEY DANGEROUS TO? SATAN?!
- Satan doesn’t save people, Jesus does.
- Ministries of Satan don’t lead people to Christ
- Ministries of Jesus do.
- THERE ARE TWO SIDES.
- Does that mean that every Christian has to be your favorite? No, of course not.
- Does it mean you have to believe what they believe? Nope?
- But it does mean that you are on the same team, on you shouldn’t seek to shut them down like the disciples did… you should pray for their success in leading people to Christ.
- And hear me church… there is nothing wrong with
speaking out against bad theology and bad teaching…
- But what if I told you that you can attack the prosperity gospel without attacking the prosperity preacher?!
- Now if a pastor starts saying the Bible is false… or they start changing who Christ is… yeah, they aren’t with us… they are against us… if that is the case, and only in that case, should we not look at them as allies, but as enemies.
- So then… what do we do about those who are against Christ?
Point Two – Grace for Those Who Are Against Christ
Luke 9:51-56 ESV When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. (52) And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. (53) But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. (54) And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” (55) But he turned and rebuked them. (56) And they went on to another village.
- This village rejects Christ… the disciples are
not looking at the opposite scenario.
- Before a man was for Christ… but this village is DEFINITLY against Christ.
- BURN THEM ALIVE JESUS! BRING DOWN FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
- Why not?
- Patience… that’s why not.
2 Peter 3:9 ESV The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
- If God called fire down on everyone who is
against Christ, then we would all be TOAST! Literally.
- Because you and I, unless you were somehow saved in the womb… you and I were at some point in our life against Christ.
- Because remember, you are either for Christ or against Him.
- Therefore, before you were for Christ, you were against Him… amen?!
- And aren’t you glad that God didn’t send fire
and brimstone down from heaven to kill you while you were against Him?
- I he did you would have never been saved and you would be doing laps in the lake of fire!
Romans 5:10 ESV For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
- WHILE WE WERE ENEMIES OF GOF HE SAVED US!
Romans 5:8 ESV but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS
- Aren’t you glade Jesus didn’t destroy you the first time you rejected Him?
- Why does God not just outright destroy His enemies? Because He want’s to turn them from enemy into allies… he want’s to save them… because He is patient, waiting for all to come to repentance.
- So then, as Christians… what should our attitude
be towards enemy of Christ? GRACE AND PATIENCE.
- Pray that they would be saved… born again… on fire for Christ.
- God is just, church, you don’t have to worry about that. He will take care of it in His time… you job is to show the love of God to your enemy in hopes that they will chose Christ before it is too late…
Romans 12:19-21 ESV Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” (20) To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” (21) Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- I want to conclude with this scripture…
Romans 2:4 NIV Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
- Don’t scoff at kindness, and patience shown to the wicked… it’s intended to lead men to repentance.
Pray for Our Enemies