A House Divided Can Not Stand – Luke 11:14-23
Luke 11:14-23 ESV Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. (15) But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,” (16) while others, to test him, kept seeking from him a sign from heaven. (17) But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. (18) And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. (19) And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. (20) But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (21) When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; (22) but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil. (23) Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
- This morning we move into a new teaching in Luke.
- After teaching about prayer Jesus cast out a demon that had caused a man to be mute…
- And some of the crowd, not wanted to admit Jesus as Lord, made excuses saying that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Satan.
- Now Jesus doesn’t miss a beat and uses this blasphemy to teach a timeless truth that is wide spreading and still very applicable today, some 2000 years after He taught it.
Show Title Slide
- A house Divided can not stand
- A kingdom divided can not stand
- A church divided can not stand
- A man divided can not stand
- Division leads to destruction, church, that’s what we are going to talk about today. So lets get right into it.
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
Point One – A Divide Kingdom Can Not Stand
Luke 11:14-18 ESV Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. (15) But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,” (16) while others, to test him, kept seeking from him a sign from heaven. (17) But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. (18) And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
- So Jesus cast out this demon.
- The mute man is healed.
- But the crowds are unsatisfied.
- “It is by the prince of demons that he cast out that demon!”
- Can you imagine, you watch the Son of God, who
came to die for your sins, you watch Him in the flesh cast out a demon…
- And you look at the God-Man Himself, and instead
of being in awe of His glory, His majesty, His Power and His Authority…
- Instead of reckognizing who He was… You shout at Him that He is a servant of the Devil!
- Right after He cured a man of muteness!
- And you look at the God-Man Himself, and instead of being in awe of His glory, His majesty, His Power and His Authority…
- That is an incredibly serious thing to do church, that’s a scary place to be in, to be so depraved that you could look God in His face and call Him demonic!
- Not only is it serious, but it doesn’t make any
sense! And that is exactly what Jesus points out!
- Why would Satan fight against Satan.
- This man is already possessed by a demon, Satan has the territory, why would Satan then come against himself and cast his own demon out of a man.
- That would be like America invading Iwo Jima twice. Once to take the land, and a second time to kick out the United States marines that took it the first time. It wouldn’t make any sense at all.
- The Allies wouldn’t have won WW2 if all we did
was fight each other… we had to work together to overthrow evil.
- Because a kingdom divided withers away.
- A nation can only handle so much civil war before it ceased to be a nation any longer.
- Either someone comes along to unite the people, or the nation withers away.
- Because a kingdom divided withers away.
- And so it is with the Kingdom of God…
- Because listen church, hear me church, hear me
- SATAN’S KINGDOM IS NOT DIVIDED
Luke 11:18 ESV And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.
- Satan’s Kingdom is not divided…
- Sure there are lot’s of difference in opinions in Satan’s kingdom…
- But they are very united when they come to one thing, hating us!
John 15:18-19 ESV “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. (19) If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
- Now if Satan’s Kingdom is not divided, then how much more should we as Christians in the Kingdom of God not be divided?
- If we want God’s Kingdom to stand here in America, then we must be united in His kingdom. Because a Kingdom divided against itself withers a way. A Kingdom divided can not stand.
- We just spent a bunch of time talking about God’s Kingdom Come, praying for His Kingdom to come… now that we are praying that… now that we are fighting for that… that God’s Kingdom would be here in our homes, in our families, in our churches, in our Nation… now that we have fought for that… we should also fight that His Kingdom would stand, that it would be lasting here in America.
- Because the enemy want’s to invite confusion
into the camp, he wants to turn ourselves against each other, to destroy us…
- And I have seen it happen here, Christians against Christians… what is that?
John 17:18-23 ESV As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. (19) And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. (20) “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, (21) that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (22) The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, (23) I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
- JESUS WANTS US TO BE ONE AS HE AND THE FATHER
ARE ONE. Perfect Unity, that’s what He desires!
- What is the practical application of this?
- First, when you meet another Christian, you
should treat them as you would treat anyone in this church… they are family…
- But how will you know if they really are a Christian? Because the Holy Spirit should JUMP inside you when you talk about Christ with them.
- Second, we can’t consider our church as better
than other churches.
- WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM.
- Thirdly, I never EVER want to hear anyone in
this church badmouthing another church or pastor who preaches God’s word.
- The only people I give you permission to speak against, as members of CLC, is those who teach that God’s Word is not true, or that Jesus Christ is not our Savior.
- Now you can disagree with them, you can lovingly talk about concerns you have with their teaching…
- But if they are preaching the Gospel then we should PRAISE GOD FOR THEM… if just ONE person is saved through their work, then it is not by Satan they are working… because Satan doesn’t lead people to Christ!
- So we don’t badmouth other churches here, we praise God for them. If you ever need to know something about a church or teaching, feel free to reach out to Pastor Amanda or I and we would love to tell you what they believe and what is good and what we think is wrong… but don’t spiral down the enemy’s trap of talking down of others in the faith.
- First, when you meet another Christian, you should treat them as you would treat anyone in this church… they are family…
- What is the practical application of this?
- Why? Because a Kingdom divided withers away. And as America continues to become more and more secular, more and more sinful, it is important that God’s Kingdom here is united, Amen?
Point Two – A Church Divided Can Not Stand
- Now that brings me to point two… a church divided can not stand.
Luke 11:18-20 ESV And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. (19) And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. (20) But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
- Jesus is so hardcore y’all.
- I love Him, so much…
- These religious leaders say “You cast out demons by the prince of demons”
- Jesus says… “Ok, cool… if the way someone cast
out demons is by invoking the name of Satan… then how exactly do your sons cast
- GOT EM JESUS!
- You see He is talking to church people, because
there sons are casting out demons…
- And we know that Satan does not cast out Satan, so we know that these peoples sons are Godly.
- In fact, they are so Godly that they will be the ones who Judge there parents who have just now blasphemed a might God.
- Jesus makes it clear, there is a difference
between you and the church…
- And praise God, because a church divided can not stand…
- Listen, show of hands… who here would like to
destroy this church…
- Good, then I should NEVER hear Gossip.
- That’s how you destroy a church. Gossip.
- Let’s take it back to Absalom… Absalom was King
David’s son, and he wanted to take over the Kingdom from His father.
- He wanted to overthrow King David… and he did it through Gosip.
2 Samuel 15:1-4 ESV After this Absalom got himself a chariot and horses, and fifty men to run before him. (2) And Absalom used to rise early and stand beside the way of the gate. And when any man had a dispute to come before the king for judgment, Absalom would call to him and say, “From what city are you?” And when he said, “Your servant is of such and such a tribe in Israel,” (3) Absalom would say to him, “See, your claims are good and right, but there is no man designated by the king to hear you.” (4) Then Absalom would say, “Oh that I were judge in the land! Then every man with a dispute or cause might come to me, and I would give him justice.”
- Do you see what Absalom did there?
- Someone would come to talk to the king…
- And Absalom would be all buddy buddy…
- Well you know King David isn’t going to help you, he doesn’t really represent you… oh that I were king, then I would help you.
- Then he gathered all the people together who he convinced and overthrew the king…
- Spoiler alert, Absalom and his followers were killed.
- If you want to try to kill this church and kill your spiritual walk in the process, this is how to do it… bring in division.
- But if you cherish your spiritual health and the
health of this church, never listen to or spread Gossip…
- If you ever hear someone from this church say
“IF I WERE PASTOR THEN…”
- If you hear that, RUN!
- “If I were pastor I would do it this way…”
- Bruh, please, by all means, leave your job, take a huge pay cut, move somewhere you know no one, and on faith start a church from nothing…
- Failing that, then humble yourself and support your church and pastor.
- If you ever hear someone from this church say “IF I WERE PASTOR THEN…”
Proverbs 6:16-19 ESV There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: (17) haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, (18) a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, (19) a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
- And you know what, this goes for talking bad
about other people in the church. We are on the same team! A church divided can
- Don’t talk bad about other people in Christ,
even if it is true.
- We all mess up, instead of tearing them down with words, what if you built them up?
- WE ARE ON THE SAME TEAM WE SHOULD WANT OTHERS TO SUCCECED!
- Don’t talk bad about other people in Christ, even if it is true.
Ephesians 4:29 ESV Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Point Three – A Man Divided Can Not Stand
- Finally, point three, A Man Divided Can Not
- James 1:8 says that a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
- Matthew 6:24 says a man can not serve two masters.
- But here in Luke it is put this way…
Luke 11:21-22 ESV When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; (22) but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil.
- If you are a Christian, then the Bible says that
you are a living temple, a palace where the Holy Spirit and His treasures live.
- And the enemy want’s to steal those treasures…
- So we have to guard it, we guard it with faith,
and truth, contentment, peace, and righteousness.
- The enemy attacks us with doubt, lies, greed, anxiety, and sin.
- And what does Jesus say here… which ever group is stronger wins… if your guards of faith and truth and peace and righteousness are overpowered, then your temple will be ruined
- Therefore it is important to have STRONG guards…
- Now some people only train their guards on Sunday mornings and the rest of the week they go out into the world messing around with sin.
- If you spend 6 days inviting the enemy in, and
one day training your defense… don’t be surprised when you lose!
- Don’t be surprised when it all falls apart… of course it will.
- You can’t have one foot in the world and one
foot in the Kingdom of God, that just makes for a lousy Christian and a lousy
- Look, if you want to live a life of sin…
- A life of gossip, or drugs, or alcohol, or
hatred, or unforgiveness, or sex, or whatever…
- Man go do it, live it up! Stop wasting your time here, use your Sunday mornings to recover from your hangover.
- A life of gossip, or drugs, or alcohol, or hatred, or unforgiveness, or sex, or whatever…
- But if you want to live a godly life, a holy life, then be all in!
- Look, if you want to live a life of sin…
- Don’t look back! Don’t look back to your old life
of sin and debauchery!
- Remember lot’s wife! She looked back… it didn’t turn out well for her…
- Neither will it for you.
- A House Divided can not stand.
- A Kingdom Divided can not stand.
- A Church Divided can not stand.
- A Person Divided can not stand.
Luke 11:23 ESV Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
- Altar call (Gospel, then divided people)