YouTube video sermon
The point of healing is not so we have a bunch of healthy sinners… but so that those who are lost will be found!
Luke 9:1-6 ESV And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, (2) and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. (3) And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. (4) And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. (5) And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.” (6) And they departed and went through the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.
- Before we get started, lets just take a moment to understand the historical importance of this passage.
- Jesus here sends out 12 apostles with power and authority… He gives them some instructions, and tells them to preach the gospel.
- Now, if these 12 apostles did not obey Jesus here, or they failed to be effective… then this church… Christian Life Church… may not even be here today.
- This church, my salvation, your salvation… it is the product of Christ working through ordinary people like the apostles to spread the good news.
- So those ordinary people have to be both obedient and effective.
- And the good news is that Christ equipped them and gave them clear instructions to be effective as they are obedient… so let’s talk about that.
Show Title Slide
- The title of today’s sermon? Let’s Go! Because I don’t think God is done sending out apostles… I think there are more people who need healing, and deliverance from demons… and most importantly I believe there are more people who need to hear the Gospel, amen? Let’s Go!
PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY
Point One – Christ Send’s Us With Power and Authority
Luke 9:1-2 ESV And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, (2) and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal.
- When a King sends a messenger, he send’s him with power and authority…
- You see if a king is going to send a messenger into enemy territory he is not going to send him defenseless…
- He is going to give him a suit of powerful armor, he is going to send a troop of soldiers to defend him, he is going to arm him with a sharp sword and sturdy shield to defend himself from attacks from the enemy… The king sends his messengers with power!
- Likewise, the king sends a messenger with authority. He send’s him with a letter sealed by his signet ring that says “By the authority of the king I send this messenger with a message for all the people of the land”
- Without that authority who is going to listen? But with that authority the messenger becomes a represented of the king.
- Likewise, when Jesus, the King of Kings sends a messenger, He sends the messenger with power and authority.
- What, therefore, does the messenger of Christ have the power to do?
- They have the power to preform miracles… specifically to heal. Often times in scripture and in life today miracles of healing proceed the preaching of the gospel.
Matthew 10:1 ESV And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction.
Matthew 10:8 ESV Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay.
Acts 4:29-30 ESV And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, (30) while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
- And what does the messenger of Christ have authority over?
- They have authority over demons! Because demons want to thwart the gospel, they don’t want it preached… but the King of Kings, the God of gods, gives us authority over those little suckers… we don’t have to deal with their garbage when we go out with the authority of the King, we just let them know who we represent, and they flee.
James 4:7 ESV Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Mark 16:16-17 ESV Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. (17) And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
Luke 10:17-20 ESV The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!” (18) And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. (19) Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. (20) Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
- In fact, not only did Jesus send the apostles with power to heal and authority over demons in order that they might be effective in preaching the gospel… but this is the example Jesus Himself set for us when HE preached the good news.
Matthew 4:23-25 ESV And he went throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction among the people. (24) So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought him all the sick, those afflicted with various diseases and pains, those oppressed by demons, those having seizures, and paralytics, and he healed them. (25) And great crowds followed him from Galilee and the Decapolis, and from Jerusalem and Judea, and from beyond the Jordan.
- Now, this is important church… the point of this kind of Power and Authority… power and authority given by Christ… the point of it is that people would be saved!
- You know it’s funny how quickly someone’s apprehension towards Christ disappear when He heals them of a disease they have had their whole life…
- And I am not talking about a cold, or the flu…
- I am talking about cancer… blindness… being crippled… sometimes even being dead! Yeah, Jesus can heal that too!
- Imagine being dead then being called back to life… you think you might listen to what the apostle who raised you from the dead… you think you might listen to what he has to save.
- The point of healing is not so we have a bunch of healthy sinners… but so that those who are lost will be found!
- The point of authority over demons is not to cast demons out… but to invite Christ in. In fact, the worst thing we can do for someone is cast a demon out and not bring Christ in… The bible says that if we cast out a demon but the previously possessed does not accept Christ… the Bible says that even MORE demons than before will enter that person, so that they are worse off than before.
- IT’S ALL ABOUT PREACHING THE GOSPEL. Amen?!
- You know it’s funny how quickly someone’s apprehension towards Christ disappear when He heals them of a disease they have had their whole life…
Point Two – Christ Sends Us Dependent on Faith
Luke 9:3-4 ESV And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. (4) And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart.
- Imagine if I said “Ok guy’s, we are going to send a mission team to inner city Chicago to preach the gospel for a month. You can’t bring money, or food, or anything really other than ONE set of clothes.”
- That’s all you get, the clothes on your back. No hotel, no car, no food, no money… month long Gospel Preaching Mission… who would go on that trip?
- THERE’S MY ABISHAI’S RIGHT THERE! BOOM!
- That’s what Jesus did, He sent them out with no physical things!
- Look, He equipped them with incredible spiritual things but neglected them most physical things… why?
- First: Depending on God and His providence is a good place to be when you are trying to operate in His Power and Authority, amen?
- Second: Earthly Things distract from spiritual things… you don’t want people more interested in your STUFF then in your SAVIOR amen? You don’t want YOURSELF to be distracted by your stuff instead of your savior, amen?
- Third, and this fly’s in the face of the prosperity gospel, and I think this is a huge reason… we don’t want to give people the wrong idea about what following Christ looks like.
- When someone get’s radically saved they are going to look to the messenger to see what following Christ looks like.
- So if the person preaching to them is a fat and sassy American with way to many pairs of shoes, fancy electronic gadgets, money out their noise, and driving the best cars… what are they going to think following Christ looks like?
- But if the messenger is living a life of faith, then they start their Christian walk with the expectation that GOD WILL PROVIDE FOR THEM no matter what, and that they can live by faith and not by stuff!
- How amazing to start your walk in faith… to start your walk with Christ with a firm understanding of the cost of following Christ…
Luke 14:28-33 ESV For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? (29) Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, (30) saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ (31) Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? (32) And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. (33) So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
- One of the great tragedies of modern evangelism is the Mega Revival model.
- Go to a nation that desperately needs the gospel… Bring a huge stage, with lights and screens and the best musicians and lasers and smoke machines…
- Bring the best preachers dressed in the trendiest suites and preach the gospel.
- Now let me say this, praise God that the gospel is being preached, but when someone receives the gospel in that fashion it must be very hard for them to count the cost… what they see of Jesus is PROSPERITY so naturally they are going to expect prosperity.
- On the flip side… the new converts… the freshly born again who are most likely to be willing to suffer for Christ are the ones who heard the gospel from people suffering for Christ!
Point Three – Christ Sends Us to Be Effective
Luke 9:5 ESV And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”
- For crying out loud church… If you go someone to preach the gospel and they don’t want it… GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
- Not because God loves those people less, but because there are people HUNGRY and DESPERATE for the Gospel and you may in fact be neglecting them by wasting your time on people who don’t want to hear it.
- Y’all meet Reen and Rachel last week, right? They were our evangelists… literally foreign missionaries who came here with us to plant a church. And one of our big strategies was street evangelism
- As soon as it was Spring we noticed that there was a lot of people in the New Bo area.
- So naturally we went down there to street evangelize…
- AND WE WERE REJECTED LEFT AND RIGHT.
- We were mocked, turned down… even pitied by some.
- After a day of rejection… you know what we did… we left and never came back…
- You know were we did go back to? The Mission of Hope! Because the people there received us and the gospel we were preaching.
- And even though the people who started coming to our church were incredibly poor, some had bad addictions, some were mentally ill… it didn’t matter to us, because they received us and wanted the gospel…
- AND A CHURCH WAS BIRTHED FROM THAT, amen?!
Matthew 7:6 ESV “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.
- If you strive to bring people into the fold who don’t want to be there… they will end up turning on you. You might have a measure of success for a while, but eventually they will turn on you. DON’T WAIST YOUR TIME ON THOSE WHO DON’T WANT JESUS! Just move on until you find a place you will be received.
- Jesus was rejected in cities… and when He was HE LEFT! And never came back. Remember this from a few weeks ago?
Luke 8:37-40 ESV Then all the people of the surrounding country of the Gerasenes asked him to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. So he got into the boat and returned. (38) The man from whom the demons had gone begged that he might be with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, (39) “Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you.” And he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him. (40) Now when Jesus returned, the crowd welcomed him, for they were all waiting for him.
- The people of the country of the Gerasene’s rejected Jesus… so He went back to Galilee and there was a crowd there to welcome Him. Jesus stayed where He was welcome and listened to, so should we. Amen?!
Conclusion – Is This For Us?
- So let me close with this question… is all of this for us… or is it just an interesting bit of church history.
- Now many Christian’s believe that this was just for those 12 apostles… that we do not have power and authority in Christ.
- That we do not have the power to heal or the authority to cast out demons…
- But I have to be honest with you… I just can’t find that stance in scripture.
- What I do see in scripture is the great commission…
Matthew 28:18-20 ESV And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Now pretty much all of Christianity agrees this great commission was given for ALL Christians… that this is our Job.
- Therefore we know that Christ sends us, just as He sent the 12 apostles in Luke.
- So we can all universally agree that the sending is for us… but what about the power and the authority? Is that for us?
John 14:12-14 ESV “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. (13) Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (14) If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
- That text seems pretty self evident… pretty black in white. WHATEVER YOU ASKIN IN THE NAME OF JESUS, IF IT GLORIFIES CHRIST AND GOD, JESUS WILL DO IT.
- Therefore, next time you are preaching Christ… what do you have to lose by asking Christ to heal someone?
- What are you afraid of, that they won’t be healed? Ok, are they therefore somehow worse off then before? What do you have to lose?
- “But pastor, if I pray for them and they aren’t healed they may not believe in God… I might turn them away”
- PRO TIP… they already don’t believe in God, they already don’t follow Christ… therefore they are on their way to H-E-Double-hockey-sticks already!
- We all know John 3:16, but what about 3:17 and 18?
John 3:17-18 ESV For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (18) Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
- Your afraid you are going to turn them away? Turn them away to where? Hell number two?!
- Have some boldness and pray for some miracles for people and let God decide if He want’s to be glorified in that person’s life or not…
- The Bible says “You have not because you ask not”… I fret to think of all the miracles that never happened because NO ONE ASKED!
- Therefore, when witnessing, ask for miracles and let God move…
- My encouragement to you today is this… go out this week, to your workplace, shopping, to your friends house… and as you go preach the gospel… tell someone about Jesus… if they listen, pray for them, ask for Miracles, and watch God work.
- Remember, you are a Christian, you are saved, BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD YOU THE GOOD NEWS! Someone had to share it, be that someone for somebody else.
- GOSPEL CALL
- Possible Card Hand Out.